Haxorware Forums

Full Version: Arris TG2492 (VM Super hub 3)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I've been doing some research on this cable modem in the hope of getting access to the firmware but I've hit a road block so hoping someone here has the knowledge/skills to crack this open. 

A decent breakdown of the modem can be found here which includes a mostly complete list of components and UART output: 
https://www.mobile-computer-repairs.co.u...ris-TG2492 

Having also checked myself I can confirm the console is locked, there's seemingly no way to stop or interrupt the boot script and no input is accepted. 

I then proceeded to desolder the nand and attempted to dump it. Unfortunately it would appear the nand is encrypted but for those interested you can get it here:
https://mega.nz/#!qZ5nETaI!QqGD5XRCeLUAtiDTqh3xJ17IwlnWcystaSf--kC4vy8

At this point I'm not sure how to proceed, with the nand being encrypted I tried to get some information on the eMMC chip Phison PS8211-0 but there doesn't appear to be any public information or data sheet. Does anyone know if this is what handles the nand encryption or is it being done at a bootloader level?

The only interesting information I could find was this anonymous pastebin which would appear to be from a fritzbox modem 

https://pastebin.com/GZDdJRPs

Code:
4    /etc/mmc/PS8211/phison_fw/PS8211_SLC_BFW_A.BIN
4    /etc/mmc/PS8211/phison_fw/PS8211_SLC_BFW_B.BIN
4    /etc/mmc/PS8211/phison_fw/phison.cfg
4    /etc/mmc/PS8211/read_image_version.sh
4    /etc/mmc/PS8211/read_mmc_fw_version.sh
4    /etc/mmc/PS8211/upgrade_mmc_fw.sh

It doesn't say what fritzbox modem this came from but obtaining a copy of the eMMC firmware would likely be useful in decrypting the nand.
If only the bootloader weren't encrypted it could be possible to mod it to be "noisy" (display output and allow input/interrupt) but it appears the bootloader is also encrypted?
(08-09-2018, 02:19 PM)ricktendo Wrote: [ -> ]If only the bootloader weren't encrypted it could be possible to mod it to be "noisy" (display output and allow input/interrupt) but it appears the bootloader is also encrypted?

Would assume the bootloader is the first/second page of the nand dump which would appear to be encrypted.
have you considered crashing the bootloader after uboot has loaded, i'd start with connecting read-enable to ground with luck it'll crash to a uboot prompt
Was thinking about how to do that (couldn't find any public information) so I'll give that a try!
Need to wait for a replacement to arrive first though, currently disassembling current one to trace jtag.
Do you have a JTAGulator or something similar?

If not how do you go about finding the JTAG pinout without something like it?
(09-09-2018, 08:20 PM)ricktendo Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a JTAGulator or something similar?

If not how do you go about finding the JTAG pinout without something like it?

It's on its way Wink
update @emantec
JTAGulator didn't work, managed to work out a way to dump unencrypted firmware though so currently investigating a exploit to allow remote root access.
upload the dump . how have you get the dump from the route it self
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11