Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
(SB4200 -> SB5100) Plus Newbie Questions
Question 
Here's my situation.

I used to do quite a bit of testing 4-5 years ago. Since then I've had other interests and haven't really delved into anything. Recently, some construction on my street ended up knocking down the communal DSL so I dusted off my old SB4200 and hooked it up.

Much to my surprise, it works exactly as expected. I assume the maintenance on my node is extremely behind and they've yet to upgrade security. The modem is as follows:

Code:
* SIGMA V1.5B
* TFTP is locally hosted
* MAC/Serial spoofed
* Shell Initialize At Startup -  Enabled
* Shell Login/Password Prompt - Enabled
* Watchdog/Remote Resets - Enabled
* HFC SNMP Agent - Disabled
* HFC FW Updates Are - Disabled
* Bootline: "enetBcm(0,0)admin:/opt/vwMIPS_1_0_1_fcs/target/config/sb4200/vxWorks.st h=192.168.100.10 e=192.168.100.1 u=****** pw=****** f=0x8 tn=SB4200 o=bs1

The only problem I've got is that the signal is not ideal and I occasionally drop connection. I'm at the end of the line and past experience has indicated that this is a persistent issue. This wouldn't be so bad except that there is sometimes a significant delay before my router release/renews DHCP and can offer up the TFTP server to the modem.

Hoping to remedy the problem, I've taken a SB5100i I had lying around and loaded up sb5100mod 1.0.4. Now I'm wading into unkown waters and thought someone could shed some light on the following questions:

Specific:
  • Are there any problematic security settings in the current setup?
  • Will I be able to transfer the serial/MAC, TFTP and other settings over to the SB5100 and expect it to perform the same as SB4200?
  • Am I correct in thinking that the SB5100 can self-load the bin config and remove need for the TFTP server?

General:
  • Are there any tutorials on how to check the existing security on the node?
  • If you were in this situation, what type of scans or information would you collect to prepare for upcoming security upgrades?
  • What security would you expect to be forthcoming? I'd like to read up on the subject. I'm in a major city in Texas (USA).
  • I know I should expect to be subbing a modem soon, does the subbed model have to match the testing model?

Sorry for the noob-fest, but I appreciate any answers provided. I am striving to read as much as I can, but with the differing regional security it can get very confusing very fast. Anything you can do to point me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks...

Messages In This Thread
(SB4200 -> SB5100) Plus Newbie Questions - by superbonbon - 13-02-2012, 09:33 PM