Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Tutorial to flash SPI chips with Parallel(LPT1) port
I recently got my hands on a Ambit 256 which has a SPI flash and I wanted to flash it but didn't have access to USBJTAGNT, so I looked around to see what other options do I have, after doing a research i came up with this great piece of software called SPIPGM.

This software works with majority of SPI chips, including BIOS, modems like ambit 256, SB5101/n/u and many more

.zip   spipgm.zip (Size: 131.98 KB / Downloads: 457)

COMMANDS FOR SPIPGM

SPIPGM is a dos based application so first

Go to run and type cmd

type cd.. until you are at c:

now locate the spipgm folder (for example, C:\spipgm)

Identify the chip by using

spipgmw -i

if it doesn't detect the chip, check your connection.

Unlock the flash

spipgmw -u

Erase the whole flash

spipgmw -e

Make backup of the whole flash

spipgmw -d c:\xxx.bin

Write the bin file to the flash

spipgmw -p c:\xxxxxxx.bin (give the correct address to your bin file)

Verify the newly flashed bin with the bin file to make sure the write was successful

spipgmw- v c:\xxxxxxx.bin

Verification is important, when you are dumping a flash or writing a new bin to the chip. Also make sure to erase the flash before writing new bin to it.

You only need 4 resistor and a parallel port connector and a good soldering skills. You will have to lift the chip off the board in order to make this work. I haven't tried flashing it with the chip on board. Here is the schematic.

Just make sure to use thin and small wires, otherwise data will keep getting corrupt. Try to get some old IDE cable, they are easy to solder and perfect for this hack.

Always use a capacitor. 5v 10uf or any capacitor with 5v ratings.

Always make sure that the connection is according to the schematic.

To get the 3.3v I simply stripped the orange wire from my pc power supply. If you have a multimeter, you can check if you have the right voltage.

I guess that's pretty much it. ENjoy!!

Messages In This Thread
Tutorial to flash SPI chips with Parallel(LPT1) port - by mohsin0012 - 26-01-2015, 08:30 AM