Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Newb simple questions
i have an SB5101 with version 1.1 Revision 39 of haxorware.
i purchased this modem premoded to learn.

i understand somewhat but i want to know how HFC macs work.
i know we need working macs to get online and i know how to sniff for them.
i know i cant use macs from my town.

Do i need to use a mac from my same isp?
i have time Warner in nyc.

the isp in my area is time warner and the isp in the bronx is cablevision

if i scan for macs in my area from my sb5101 those macs are a mix of isps or are they all time warner?

or does any mac work?

and how do i set witch isp to use. (ex. i want to try and use my sb5101 in the bronx) will it work with the mac i already have? what settings would i have to change on haxorware?

Whats a cert?

i know im a newb but it doesnt hurt to try.
(15-11-2011, 07:02 AM)JayCee14xD Wrote: i have an SB5101 with version 1.1 Revision 39 of haxorware.
i purchased this modem premoded to learn.
premod never a good start

(15-11-2011, 07:02 AM)JayCee14xD Wrote: i understand somewhat but i want to know how HFC macs work.
i know we need working macs to get online and i know how to sniff for them.
i know i cant use macs from my town.
not town, you cant use macs from you node (not the same thing as a town)

(15-11-2011, 07:02 AM)JayCee14xD Wrote: Do i need to use a mac from my same isp?
i have time Warner in nyc.
yes same isp

(15-11-2011, 07:02 AM)JayCee14xD Wrote: the isp in my area is time warner and the isp in the bronx is cablevision
if i scan for macs in my area from my sb5101 those macs are a mix of isps or are they all time warner?
all twc (so thats what twc means time warner cable... often wondered that)

(15-11-2011, 07:02 AM)JayCee14xD Wrote: or does any mac work?
no

(15-11-2011, 07:02 AM)JayCee14xD Wrote: and how do i set witch isp to use. (ex. i want to try and use my sb5101 in the bronx) will it work with the mac i already have? what settings would i have to change on haxorware?
settings are isp dependant hell node dependant in this day and age (meaning settings to get you online can change from node to node) only way to know what works is try everything

(15-11-2011, 07:02 AM)JayCee14xD Wrote: Whats a cert?
Code:
A Certificate is a method used to distribute a public key and other information about a server and the organization who is responsible for it. Certificates can be digitally signed by a Certificate Authority or CA. A CA is a trusted third party that has confirmed that the information contained in the certificate is accurate.
the answer to 42 of life's problems (not had my morning brew yet)

__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat link https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******
i Want to buy another pre mod sb5101 but i want to get it to work in the bronx what exact settings would i have to change in the haxorware page?

Whats Docsis??

i'm on Docsis1.0
Btw thanks for the quick reply highly appreciate it
(16-11-2011, 08:01 PM)JayCee14xD Wrote: i Want to buy another pre mod sb5101 but i want to get it to work in the bronx what exact settings would i have to change in the haxorware page?
premod again? a quick ebay search around webby premod $40 (and thats a cheap one who would pay $169??? some people are idiots)
webby not modded $6 and a usb ttl cable to mod it $5 (and the cable is only needed if the 1 click installer does not work)

(16-11-2011, 08:01 PM)JayCee14xD Wrote: Whats Docsis??
Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) (often pronounced /ˈdɒksɪs/) is an international telecommunications standard that permits the addition of high-speed data transfer to an existing cable TV (CATV) system. It is employed by many cable television operators to provide Internet access (see cable Internet) over their existing hybrid fiber-coaxial (HFC) infrastructure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

(16-11-2011, 08:01 PM)JayCee14xD Wrote: i'm on Docsis1.0
Btw thanks for the quick reply highly appreciate it
you wont be d1 for long

__________________________________________________________________________________
so i am back and i have figured it out. now i am going to start buying sb5101 not premod and mod them myself but will i need to solder in those pins?
i dont, but then i use oversized headers, but you can just put a bit if tin foil round each pin so it fills the whole better (or hold it at a jaunty angle)
sb5101 maxes out at 30Mbps. Why even fuck with those??