Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
(SB4200 -> SB5100) Plus Newbie Questions
Question 
Here's my situation.

I used to do quite a bit of testing 4-5 years ago. Since then I've had other interests and haven't really delved into anything. Recently, some construction on my street ended up knocking down the communal DSL so I dusted off my old SB4200 and hooked it up.

Much to my surprise, it works exactly as expected. I assume the maintenance on my node is extremely behind and they've yet to upgrade security. The modem is as follows:

Code:
* SIGMA V1.5B
* TFTP is locally hosted
* MAC/Serial spoofed
* Shell Initialize At Startup -  Enabled
* Shell Login/Password Prompt - Enabled
* Watchdog/Remote Resets - Enabled
* HFC SNMP Agent - Disabled
* HFC FW Updates Are - Disabled
* Bootline: "enetBcm(0,0)admin:/opt/vwMIPS_1_0_1_fcs/target/config/sb4200/vxWorks.st h=192.168.100.10 e=192.168.100.1 u=****** pw=****** f=0x8 tn=SB4200 o=bs1

The only problem I've got is that the signal is not ideal and I occasionally drop connection. I'm at the end of the line and past experience has indicated that this is a persistent issue. This wouldn't be so bad except that there is sometimes a significant delay before my router release/renews DHCP and can offer up the TFTP server to the modem.

Hoping to remedy the problem, I've taken a SB5100i I had lying around and loaded up sb5100mod 1.0.4. Now I'm wading into unkown waters and thought someone could shed some light on the following questions:

Specific:
  • Are there any problematic security settings in the current setup?
  • Will I be able to transfer the serial/MAC, TFTP and other settings over to the SB5100 and expect it to perform the same as SB4200?
  • Am I correct in thinking that the SB5100 can self-load the bin config and remove need for the TFTP server?

General:
  • Are there any tutorials on how to check the existing security on the node?
  • If you were in this situation, what type of scans or information would you collect to prepare for upcoming security upgrades?
  • What security would you expect to be forthcoming? I'd like to read up on the subject. I'm in a major city in Texas (USA).
  • I know I should expect to be subbing a modem soon, does the subbed model have to match the testing model?

Sorry for the noob-fest, but I appreciate any answers provided. I am striving to read as much as I can, but with the differing regional security it can get very confusing very fast. Anything you can do to point me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks...

I would go to www.sbhacker.net and ask, as there are more documents and things relating to the 4200 & 5100. This is a Firmware forum regarding Haxorware
Knowledge=Power
you could try copying all the settings from your 4200 to the 5100 it may work
you can only try (and hope the mac does not get banned)
__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat linkĀ https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******