Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SB5101 Firmware Question
It's pretty much rogers throwing up roadblocks to hinder the growth of Teksavvy's user base. Another example of this is that they won't let anyone with a Motorola Surfboard 6120 series modem be provisioned unless they have 1.0.6.1 (which could easily be resolved with a firmware push) which is actually on their tftp server. But no, they won't do that either.

To clarify what I meant earlier, what I said was that if you want to update to 2.1.7.0 you don't need to first update to haxorware. If you have haxorware then the modem will run fine and not require you to then flash upgrade to 2.1.7.0. Teksavvy doesn't snmp scan to verify modem revision either, if you lie and tell them you're on 2.1.7.0 then they'll just provision your modem fine.

Does your dad's modem get the full speed result back at his house? What about your dads upload speed, is it lower as well?
Hi All,

Same situation here. I just cancelled with Rogers and will be switching to Teksavvy next month. I just picked up an SB5101 that I had planned on running with Teksavvy. It has firmware 2.1.1.0 like the OP. I still have Rogers until the end of next month. If I connect my SB5101 to Rogers will it update the firmware to 2.1.7.0?

Thanks in advance!
Rogers won't upgrade the modem for you.
Ok. I thought that they were simply not upgrading once the line was switched over to Teksavvy. Based on your previous reply though, this is not a problem? I can use the modem anyway?

The Teksavvy tech indicated that if I was running the wrong firmware, speeds would suffer. Is this true?

Thanks again.
No, firmware has nothing to do with speeds in this case

You share "time slots"..

Firmware is only used if a problem is identified and the new FW corrects it, but mostly, it is when the CMTS has firmware upgraded and the ISP is looking for a "feature" and this feature is only available when all the network Elements (CM's) have it..

Considering its a 5101, most performance issues have been worked out when it was commercially made available years ago...
Knowledge=Power
(26-08-2012, 04:22 PM)Malm Wrote: The Teksavvy tech indicated that if I was running the wrong firmware, speeds would suffer. Is this true?

Thanks again.

I can say with first hand experience that your speeds will not suffer due to the firmware 2.1.1.0 you're using. Rogers is simply putting up roadblocks for Teksavvy to increase their customer base and hiding it on the guise that the firmware will cause connectivity issues for users.
Very good to know.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Just be sure to not tell them what firmware you're running if you're planning on using your modem with them. If by chance you want your modem upgraded, send me a PM and I'll have it remotely updated for you.
So I seem to have fixed my problem... although how exactly I am not sure.

After I disconnected my dad's modem, I reconnected mine and seemed to be getting the same disconnecting errors. Then I clicked "restore factory defaults," (which I did several times before), but this time both the "Upstream Channel ID" and "Frequency (Hz)" read 0. Those values seemed to show on the configuration page even after refreshing the page and after a reset. After a few hours, I checked again at it was "Upstream Channel ID" 2 and "Frequency (Hz) 609000000." In any case, as soon as I did the factory reset and the numbers changed to 0, the modem worked without any disconnects. The firmware is still 2.1.1.0. As for speed, I am getting 22 Mbps download, so its more than the advertised 18.

I suppose there is no need to update the firmware then?
Firmware will be updated if needed...

I doubt your speed issue is F/W related
Knowledge=Power