Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installed haxorware on DCP2100R2 then sparks and smoke
Well today I installed the one click haxorware install on my old Scientific Atlanta, I hadn't hooked it to the cable line worried it would update and after the install the shield touched the jack and all hell broke loose. It tripped my computer's psu fuse and killed the modem blowing the two little resistors behind the power jack clean off the board. I tried replacing the resistors but it still won't come on.

I know the modem is fubared but what would cause my cable line to do that, Id like to get another one but not if its just going to blow up again.
hahahahahahahahahahahah lololololololololololololololo

its metal thats why it did that
and those are fuses not resistors notice the f next to them
(17-09-2012, 03:51 AM)kornwood Wrote: hahahahahahahahahahahah lololololololololololololololo

its metal thats why it did that
and those are fuses not resistors notice the f next to them

Well since they are just fuses I shorted the points to see if it would work and the silver tuner box smoked and the leds were still out. It was not hooked for the cable line for this test. I am just curious as to why my cable line ground is carrying voltage capable of this damage, I checked and the line is grounded in my basement to a iron water line. It's just plain weird.
unless you hooked up to a line that has a sat box which have 16 volts on them im not sure as to why it happened
but it caused a short somewhere are there any mosfets on the board if so check them for shorts or if those are resistors and not fuses that would be why it smoked the second time by just connecting them
and i dont think the coax did it let me look at a board and ill let you know where to check for a short
(17-09-2012, 04:30 AM)kornwood Wrote: unless you hooked up to a line that has a sat box which have 16 volts on them im not sure as to why it happened
but it caused a short somewhere are there any mosfets on the board if so check them for shorts or if those are resistors and not fuses that would be why it smoked the second time by just connecting them
and i dont think the coax did it let me look at a board and ill let you know where to check for a short

I hooked the line to a tv and it worked fine, I think they were juse fuses and the turner box was damaged. I will pry the tuner open tomorrow to document the damage.
sounds good upload a good pic please
Yes, take some pictures and post them here. I am a Technician
and have worked on all types of modems, set top converters, etc.
You, might have blown the trace that goes to fuses.
Will not know until I see good resolution pics.
Niceeee Looks like your isp updated their security..