Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disable CM on Signal Level Delta
Goal
- To disable, power off, shutdown, or effectively prevent communication with the CM network when a delta (change) in signal levels is detected. Signal levels can be defined as Downstream signal strength in dBmV / Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio in dB or US: upstream signal strength in dBmV.

Background
- When a cable modem is added to or removed from a local section (i.e. building, drop) of the network, there will be a fluctuation in the signal strength of currently attached devices. By detecting this fluctuation, or delta, on a currently connected modem, the Cable Modem can ideally safely disable, power off, reset itself, or severe communication with the network.

HW / SW of Interest
- Motorola SB5101 + Haxorware.

Hi, all. Does anyone have an idea on how to accomplish this goal? Simply, I want a modem to monitor it's signal levels and remove itself (by some means) from operation on the CM network, when this delta is detected. My initial thoughts are a script running through Haxorware and the webshell. However, I am unsure of how to pursue this - or if someone has attempted this previously, through these means or another configuration.

All advice is appreciated,

- occali

Crossposted:

SBH - Modem Firmware - Haxorware
http://www.sbhacker.net/forum/topic/3771...vel-delta/
PM Sudobash at SBH. If it can be done he would probably be the one to know how or he can figure it out,,
i could write a thesis why this is a bad idea
Knowledge=Power
Still a horrible idea. CM's dont have the ability to be spectrum analyzers. What your asking makes no sense 1st off...the amount of signal detectable is insignificant. What about the 3rd order IMD and composite noise from the other CM's? Makes no sense as to why you are trying to do this

Here...answer this. How much do you think this difference is (Delta AKA TRIANGLE Symbol)?
Knowledge=Power
(08-09-2013, 07:29 PM)ABMJR Wrote: CM's dont have the ability to be spectrum analyzers.

For others reading this topic, the SB6183 has a built in spectrum analyzer.

[Image: ih2j.jpg]
LOLOLOL