Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to get back to uncapping
Gentlemen!

Ten years ago, was the last time I had anything to do with modem hacking. It was DOCSIS 1.1 and I was using simple LPT JTAG on SB4200/5100.

Nowadays seem completely different (this is the last place on the web where we can talk about CMH without any fee Tongue)
I got myself a nice DOCSIS 3.0 modem EPC3208 - and I have no equipment/knowledge how to get into it. My old blackcat is useless (because new motherboards don't have LPT), and so is my old serial cable...

I need Your advice on this:
1. What cable do I need to buy/solder to make a flash dump??
2. What cable do I need to "talk" to a console?

What do I want to achieve? Two simple things:
1. Backup
2. Communicate with modem in order to change its MAC and serial

I will be grateful for any info/links/pdf's
Do not expect anyone to answer those questions. Besides possibly users possessing identical knowledge to yourself.
(26-01-2014, 01:56 PM)skyhigh Wrote: Did u even bother to look at the first sticky thread lol or use the search button

Sure thing, I've read the sticky Smile
But unfortunately it's a bit too... short.
Well Yes, it answers my first question, but only partly. It says that i need an usbjtag nt, but it is far too expensive for me. It would cost 6 times more, that i paid for the modem, or cover four and a half months of my internet plan payment Big Grin

I need an advice from semi-advanced user, who would point me out, for example that all i need to complete my two tasks (backup & mac change), is a simple rs232 with converter to usb. Or maybe they would tell me, that the serial cable is insufficient?

I still don't know what those ten years have brought, and what do You guys use right now. I am lurking here, but the info seems to be scattered, and it lacks of tutorials/manuals Sad

Seems to me that the uncapping scene is a bit more dead - many forums are closed or want a monthly fee, theres no "free" DOCSIS 3.0 firmware, most of the tutorials are outdated Sad

(26-01-2014, 03:14 PM)neo_ Wrote: Do not expect anyone to answer those questions. Besides possibly users possessing identical knowledge to yourself.

Ouch Confused Well thats bad... So i guess i will have to try to figure things out myself, hoping that i will not fry the modem Big Grin
The information is there, however the community has changed to where we no longer spoon feed redundant information that is asked several times weekly.

(26-01-2014, 07:24 PM)ciul90 Wrote: Seems to me that the uncapping scene is a bit more dead - many forums are closed or want a monthly fee, theres no "free" DOCSIS 3.0 firmware, most of the tutorials are outdated Sad

The "scene" is much smaller due to the large unbalance of legitimate individuals who actually take the time to learn versus the individuals who simply do not care to educate themselves and expect for "guides" to be posted regarding the most basic steps. It is precisely this past mindset which provided a catalyst to patch most of the security vulnerabilities we used to take advantage of.

Click the search button, and follow the white rabbit.
Yeah bro, if you plan on "testing" with D3 modems you gotta fork out some dough on the tool needed to do it. You should start ad sbhackers for the D3 info, this site is catching up, but it will take a couple years to get all the info that has been shared. there is indeed "free" Docsis 3 firmware, I posted it myself and it was made by mforce who also moderates that section. If this is a little much for you, invest in a sb5101 (regular one), once you get that going, tackle the D3.
(26-01-2014, 07:56 PM)modembricker Wrote: there is indeed "free" Docsis 3 firmware, I posted it myself

He will definitely brick his modem by flashing a Broadcom EPC3208 with forceWare. Alas, my previously posted prophecy came true.
you dont need a usbjtagNT any spi flasher will work (even those you can make yourself) but the software will not be as nice and your on your own for support
but the fact you bolded backup & mac change shows how much you'll need to learn, shit is not that simple anymore
__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat linkĀ https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******
Yeah neo, I totally spaced out on his chipset.. hence my name .. hehehe I gotta slow down on this latest strain of Cali's finest, it's called "Girl scout cookie" 2 hits of this stuff will have you watching the grass grow...
(27-01-2014, 07:25 PM)modembricker Wrote: Yeah neo, I totally spaced out on his chipset.. hence my name .. hehehe I gotta slow down on this latest strain of Cali's finest, it's called "Girl scout cookie" 2 hits of this stuff will have you watching the grass grow...

Fucking lol man [11]