Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clear arp table on sb5101 how?
169.254 is the windows APIPA network autoconfig block, but this modem is connected directly to ps3, has been for a ear now, I only pull it when something goes wrong to test. So the question is why is the ps3 getting 169'ed when it's not even connected to a router or a windows node. I have tried everything, new patch cable, cleared arp table, let it sit unplugged for a few days. The modem does detect it, but auto throws it a 169 ip, yet, I plug it into sub and it gets served an ip as per nor. I don't get it.
A 169.254.1.0/16 is link-local addressing in IPv4, it is not solely for Windows. Additionally such a symptom is classic haxorware misconfiguration, search and you'll receive many questions and answers regarding this. Not to mention, drewmerc basically gave you an answer. Here is another hint, try adding a router, switch, or hub.
Time for a new setup...can't run forever!

Run through a switch or router as we have suggested so you can give it a new mac addy, but I suspect that your setup is on the list of errant equipment and will be dealt with....TLV's will draw attention after awhile,unless your ISP engineers aren't paying attention.
thanks guys, yeah i had thought of testing it behind a router, but didnt really want to go adding more hardware. I will try it as a test to see if it will give me an ip. thanks guys.
alright, update, I put the modem behind a router, tried the ps3 with it, still gets 169'ed, I changed the mac on the router, 169'ed. I even went as far as changing the mac on the ps3 with homebrew apps permanently, still gets 169'ed. I try a lappy on same setup, I get issued an ip no problem. I plug ps3 into subbed line, I get issued an ip no problem.

So this doesnt really make a lot of sense. Everything works fine on test modem, except ps3.
ps3 works fine on subbed line.
but ps3 will not work on test modem, even after going behind a router, and changing the systems mac.
since ps3 works fine on subbed line, this tells me the ps3 is fully functioning as it should.

I cannot see any logical explanation here, anyone have any thoughts?
LOL

So the short, non-helpful answer is to plug your ps3 into your sub....

That makes no sense whatsoever that you are having that issue, especially since the Ip is issued to the router first...
If I had this issue I would kill the diag setup and start over. How long has your diag been running the same bin?

The only thing that would make sense is that there is an identifier in the ps3 that is NOT being changed with the mac addy that the cmts can still see, but adding a router should stop that.. That's a real head-scratcher.
Thanks SY, well, another update, as of last night, I was able to access the outside world with the lappy on the test line, this morning this is not the case. I am now also getting 169'ed on that, so...without forcing a config I get a perm auth failure pointing to the cmts mac. However, this was always the case from day one. And if I force a config as normal, I now get 169'ed across the board, the dhcp server does give me an ip briefly, but then shuts down resulting in a 169. Now, I see that it was pointed out I am getting 1 TLV error. I am wondering now how do I determine which tlv that error is, and also, the bigger issue, why is the dhcp server not issuing me an ip any longer? As far as the previous log I posted goes, it remains the same, only diff is if I do not force a config I get the perm auth failure pointing to the cmts mac as stated above, but as said, that was always the case unless I forced a config. Usually there is an indicator in the log that I could follow up on, but I am not seeing one. Any ideas?
Logs would help.
Well, back to my solution....

Start over. Apparently you have no issues forcing so what is stopping you from changing your setup? Just remember to change the mac addy's before you connect anything to the new bin...
Problem resolved, thanks everyone.