Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Can't get online sometimes. Am I normal?
Question 
I was online for about a week, with no problems. Then suddenly the modem won't go online anymore (online light flashing, not static). My modem is a 5101 with Haxorware 1.0rc6. In the event log I was getting a lot of this:

DHCP Failed - Discover sent, no offer received

After about 8 hours, and many restarts, it finally connected again. Why might this be? I suppose if someone else was using the MACs I tried then that would be a problem, but I tried about 15 different ones over that 8 hour period, and it didn't seem to help. (and yes, I did change my NIC MAC when changing modem MACs to give myself a sense of security). Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
either someone was using the mac
or the isp fucked something up
or something else, but its not your fault if you restart the modem and it does it again, it means isp is failing
[Image: 2qu0z8h.gif]
(01-12-2008, 12:22 AM)RowaN Wrote: I was online for about a week, with no problems. Then suddenly the modem won't go online anymore (online light flashing, not static). My modem is a 5101 with Haxorware 1.0rc6. In the event log I was getting a lot of this:

DHCP Failed - Discover sent, no offer received

After about 8 hours, and many restarts, it finally connected again. Why might this be? I suppose if someone else was using the MACs I tried then that would be a problem, but I tried about 15 different ones over that 8 hour period, and it didn't seem to help. (and yes, I did change my NIC MAC when changing modem MACs to give myself a sense of security). Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

it may be that your isp is upgrading to 1.1 mine has done the same thing. i am trying to find a 1.0 config file now for charter so i can try hosting the 1.0 config to bypass the 1.1 ones this firware downloads. even when i change it.
You may get better results if you just take the DHCP Info and copy it over to the force static ip page...

Get the gateway / router info by goin into webshell and doin this
Code:
cd /ip_hal
lease_show 1
y
Take this section... (3) Router IP address = xx.xx.xx.xx

and copy into Gateway then check force static ip and reboot

then you shouldn't see anymore DHCP errors at all.

On networks where they're upgrading to 1.1 docsis slowly you can stay online by disabling BPI and forcing / autoserving a 1.0 docsis config... Masterfulwolf i got a few docsis 1.0 charter configs hit me up and i'll send em your way! ;-)
Thanks for the info guys. Yes I believe my ISP (V1rg1n M£dia, UK) is upgrading docsis this month, for the 20mbit configs at least is what I was told.

Blob - when I enter lease_show 1 it gives me a warning:
"WARNING: This will be applied to all 2 registered instances! Do you really want to do this? [no] "
..sounds scary, and I don't know what this means. What will choosing yes actually do?

I seem to have BPI disabled already.
it asks that every time
just say y
[Image: 2qu0z8h.gif]
All done. Event log looks like and clean now.

Regarding the "Suppress DHCP Requests" option - what are they, and what would the benefit be of supressing them?
I did something stupid last night. All was working well on a 10meg config, but I decided to try and force a 20meg config. It didn't work. So I changed my settings back to the 10meg config.. but it no longer works! All the lights light up on my modem, as if it was online, but its not connected. That haxorware status page says "Done" by all the tasks and shows the status as being "online". ipconfig reveals that I've got no IP, and after a while it assigns me a windows ip 169.254.52.*

To make matters worse, I can only seem to access the haxorware webgui for about 10 seconds each time I reboot the modem, around the time when the 3rd & 4th lights light up. This makes it a little difficult to change any of the settings now (but not impossible).

UPDATE I'm back online. Although my mac had been working for 4 months, somehow it must have died when I tried to force the config again. I've simply changed to a fresh mac and i'm back online now.