Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
download speed is very slow in day time..
(30-07-2015, 03:49 AM)Ziricom Wrote: That to me is still shitty.... sure it is Ok but if there's a better option I'm taking it......they actually did away with DSL here....even though the infrastructure is still in place they stopped selling it, People still have it though.

Not as good of speed as cable offers, but you do get the advantage of not sharing bandwidth with every user on the same channel(s) as you still, which solves the crowded node problem... Tongue

From a user standpoint, there's usually not a lot you can do about an oversold node, subbed or not. It took months of bitching and an FCC complaint to get Comcast to split my node (and then the time it took to actually do the work) at my old location, and that was on their business class service. 2mbit down on a 50mbit sub at prime time, and they wanted to blame everything but being oversold. Business class always had way better support too, I can't imagine trying to deal with that as a residential sub. I was too far for decent DSL, I want to say they told me 14mbit, and for the price I wasn't ready to give up 50mbit that actually worked outside of primetime.
Great thing about DSL, or at least in my location. Since it has it's separate power supply, when the power goes out the DSL (and phone line) still stay on.
(30-07-2015, 01:59 PM)neo_ Wrote: Great thing about DSL, or at least in my location. Since it has it's separate power supply, when the power goes out the DSL (and phone line) still stay on.

I have the same problem, I turn on the generator and not cable or internet (may also get DSL on my land line activated because of this)
(30-07-2015, 04:16 PM)Ziricom Wrote: American ISP's really cant shell out what it costs for battery backups?

He's not in America.

(30-07-2015, 04:16 PM)Ziricom Wrote: "Hey! it might be in our best interest to keep our larger business customers online in the event of a power outage.

Large businesses don't use cable modems.
Ziri if you really want your UPS to last (days/weeks) longer, shut it off and run your DC powered stuff (like router/modem/laptop) directly from the battery like this mod video shows how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ur-D37-juo
APC consumer grade is junk, anything over 30 minutes and the mosfets burn out, and i doubt the batteries will last over a year or two because they don't cycle them and AGM/SLA batteries need to be cycled or left at a float voltage, they love to keep them at a cycle charge voltage and boil off all the electrolyte and then that causes the terminals to rot apart, or an internal failure due to acidic gas from the batteries. I take that back about just consumer grade, even APC rackmount/datacenter UPS's suck, I've seen the batteries blow up after a year and you couldn't even get the goddamn APC out of the rack it had expanded so much and remember another one quitting with a buzzing noise..

on the other hand, a pure sinewave inverter + external batteries and a transfer switch, costs a bit more but is much more reliable and the transfer time is 6ms or something when the inverter has a grid sync/lock, the lights don't even flicker... i use an inverter that runs on 40-60vdc, can use battery cables about 1/3rd the size of a 12v inverter. youd be surprised what you can find in used industrial/telco stuff that's perfectly fine and hardly been used if at all..
(30-07-2015, 08:16 PM)Ziricom Wrote:
(30-07-2015, 08:12 PM)daviddds Wrote: APC consumer grade is junk, anything over 30 minutes and the mosfets burn out, and i doubt the batteries will last over a year or two because they don't cycle them and AGM/SLA batteries need to be cycled or left at a float voltage, they love to keep them at a cycle charge voltage and boil off all the electrolyte.

on the other hand, a pure sinewave inverter + external batteries and a transfer switch, costs a bit more but is much more reliable and the transfer time is 6ms or something when the inverter has a grid sync/lock, the lights don't even flicker... i use an inverter that runs on 40-60vdc, can use battery cables about 1/3rd the size of a 12v inverter. youd be surprised what you can find in used industrial/telco stuff that's perfectly fine and hardly been used if at all..

Well that is interesting. My UPS Cycles itself to battery 4 times a day for 9 minute intervals.
No shit? that's good that they finally figured that part out..

@ the cable going out when the power goes out, you'd think nearly all isp's are using power supplies with battery backups like this alpha one:
http://i.imgur.com/zM56pvp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/skTdQCy.png
they're probably just too lazy to setup the SNMP monitoring and receive fault messages, change the batteries out when they go bad. hub sites usually use an onan/generac generator + batteries and have their own onsite propane to last for a few days and the Alpha boxes accept a generator input for long duration outages, they just have to be refueled every 6-12 hours..

too bad most isp's are making customers replace the batteries on even leased modems, baffles my mind how they get away with that.

and if you're lucky and your cable company offers business transit over their fiber ring, sorta like comcast is doing with the dpon stuff, service isnt even effected by nodes going down. that being said, I do miss my DSL, days without power and it was still functioning.
If he was up on a pole fucking with it, it was most likely a Cheetah line monitor... they capture and monitor for ingress/out of service conditions/signal levels. btw, img isnt loading..
probably an older alpha power supply, with a monitor installed on it, vs a newer one then id say. and yeah, they mount nodes, monitors, you name it in alpha boxes..
Mine is just opposite, day time the download speed really increases upto max bandwidth , but later during the night it just lowers more and more. The weird thing is I face it in web browsers only otherwise am able to utilize max bandwidth in any Download managers.!