Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a comprehensive guide?
Hello.

I just found the interesting concept of "uncapping your cable modem" and it led me here.

I have a SB6141 on TWC internet and I already have the highest plan in my area. I'm not interested really interested in increased download or upload, unless that will somehow effect my ping in games. I've been being extremely frustrated having 100-120 ms ping in games when back on Verizon Fios I enjoyed pings of 20-30 ms on almost every game.

Perhaps someone more well versed in networking can educate me on it, but I was under the impression that electrical signals over copper travel just as fast as light over fiber, just in smaller increments, hence lower download and upload speeds. This would mean that my ping should be relatively the same as someone on fiber, assuming the same distance from location to server.

I have been successful in the past lowering ping marginally by switching DNS routing, but now I feel like there's something else holding me back, and if uncapping something about my modem lets me get it, let's just say I'm VERY interested.

Is there some sort of comprehensive guide to uncapping my certain type of modem? I'm not really interesting in having to buy additional equipment to do it, so I would prefer a method that just involves me, my computer, my router, and my modem.
Copper offers a lower velocity factor then fiber, hence a slightly higher ping rate