Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Guy needs a guide
Hello, I am new to this forum and only came across the world of modem firmware last week. Although I have read a lot already I have many questions. I was just tired of going all winter without internet and didn't want to spend a couple months before getting internet installed and since I haven' had any response since my first post last week I figured I would make this thread since a few questions are time critical as I scheduled an install last week for RR basic this evening at 4pm Eastern US time.

First thing I am not clear on is 'Why necessarily a subbed modem?'
I figure that one thing that most of us want to get away from is modem leasing fees but from what I read, seams that many keep their original installed modem and keep paying the fee. I have a
TWC modem from 6 years ago that was never asked to be returned.

1. Should I have that hooked up? Or should I have a leased one installed at the first so that I can get info out of it? It was from another neighborhood 6 miles away and I imagine different node. Not sure if that matters.
2. Should I buy a second modem before or after the install? My goal is not paying leasing fees .... at least eventually.
3. I figure if you have your own modem from the start of the install that it would be as good as a subbed that the SP would lease you if they pushed the same firmware, config and anything else that they put in it.

Maybe some one could clear some of this up as I am almost about to cancel the install at this point although I really don't want to.

Thank you to everyone and ANYONE that will reply!!
Well, Cable guy came at 4pm today and it was an actual TWC truck unlike the previous 2 times I had TWC internet installed and subcontractors showed up. I had him drop a modem and made the excuse that I didn't have my cm yet. This one was a UBEE which I never seen before. but then I never signed up for 2mbps. Always had 15mbps. I heard the modems were different. He said he had to register the modem and called it in on the phone. Told the lady on the other end to take me off quarantine because I was going to be gaming. I don't know what that meant. Maybe some of you do. I don't game online but didn't say anything since it sounded like not being quarantine and being taken off of that sounded like a positive and not a negative, so I let it ride.

I am not sure why I don't get any responses here. I have read other responses that said the in effect that, 'if you don't know how to do it then you going to have to figure it out on your own, or, if your just starting out your all on your own, or were past the days when someone can start learning or if you haven't learned years ago way behind the curve. Well, that doesn't sound very helpful or friendly. I just learned about Haxorware and didn't know anything a bout it more than a week ago. Sound like all of the ones that have been doing this for years are content with keeping all of their secrets and letting modem hacking die with them and taking it to the grave with them. What a damn shame. At least I would like some response. Maybe Ill just start becoming annoying till someone acknowledges I exist. I was as helpfull as I could be in the FreeNAS forum and still am. Could be helpful here but if everyone wants to be a stranger and not take anyone under their wing and teach them anything then you will all loose because this project will dwindle to nothing.
Shame on big brother buddy. Call your ISP and ask for Chip Douglas he'd hook you up!
IMO the time were you could learn and get something working are gone. The programming of the modem itself is easy to learn and to do (haxorware or forceware).
But the files (certs) needed to get a modem working are basically not obtainable as easy as they use to be. So basically you need a guide to program whatever modem you decide you want to use (found on youtube) and someone to send you the files that will work in your area then someone to tell you how to use them.
The reason no one helps is because either you learn or they basically give you all the answers if they are somewhat local to you.
[Image: 4992746106.png]
[Image: 3681747513.png]
(23-03-2016, 01:32 AM)john666 Wrote: IMO the time were you could learn and get something working are gone. The programming of the modem itself is easy to learn and to do (haxorware or forceware).
But the files (certs) needed to get a modem working are basically not obtainable as easy as they use to be. So basically you need a guide to program whatever modem you decide you want to use (found on youtube) and someone to send you the files that will work in your area then someone to tell you how to use them.
The reason no one helps is because either you learn or they basically give you all the answers if they are somewhat local to you.

So basically what you are saying is that basically, it is pretty basic.
It that basically correct, basically speaking?
(23-03-2016, 01:50 AM)newname Wrote:
(23-03-2016, 01:32 AM)john666 Wrote: IMO the time were you could learn and get something working are gone. The programming of the modem itself is easy to learn and to do (haxorware or forceware).

So basically what you are saying is that basically, it is pretty basic.
It that basically correct, basically speaking?

yup, basically.

easiest way to short cut everything is if you just happen to have friends that work at the isp in my case TWC you get the files off the modems/hd boxes or whatever before they are installed and you skip all the nonsense and test to your hearts delight.
[Image: 4992746106.png]
[Image: 3681747513.png]
So, basically, a tutorial on how to acquire friends that work at your local ISP would be a good read then...??
(23-03-2016, 11:18 AM)newname Wrote: So, basically, a tutorial on how to acquire friends that work at your local ISP would be a good read then...??

sure that would be great.. see a problem solve a problem
I know how to do so Angel

(23-03-2016, 07:31 PM)john666 Wrote:
(23-03-2016, 11:18 AM)newname Wrote: So, basically, a tutorial on how to acquire friends that work at your local ISP would be a good read then...??

sure that would be great.. see a problem solve a problem