Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How about a full on big Wiki?
I remember years ago, dedicated members posted lengthy threads with explanations of how to accomplish something. For something one thing that comes to mind is the thread with photos (with some not presently working working) years ago on how to dump firmware, sorry for not including due credit - but I know this personally helped me years and years ago. Although some information could have been improved, especially when it came to soldering - that I was very familiar with and went my own route on that.

So, at preset times - this forum is alive, but severely struggling. How about a Haxorware Wiki gets implemented? If you're not sure how Wiki (derived from Wikipedia), the information on each subject and page Is crowd sourced. Sure, there are people who have power to remove bogus information or correct it, but it is symbiotic in the way it works. People who naturally earn a reputation from other for typing up information and including photos are often recognized, respected, and at many times given privileges to correct or update exist updating information. As we all know, technology is one of the most rapidly evolving hobbies, proffesions, etc...

One major problem I have seen since the beginning is that people continuously ask the same question. No matter how good the search, and it doesn't even matter if their answer Is answered in a sticky.

People in the know have became continuously frustrated answering the same questions. And even more, they do not trust sharing actual new firmware that is developed privately.

The catch 22 with SBH, the center for discussion on how to LEGALLY modify open source firmware. This IS NOT much different than for example, sites like DD-WRT or OpenWRT who work on open source firmware for routers. However, they DO NOT provide instructions illegal instructions on how to switch your 2.4 Ghz 802.11N service to channel 13. This is highly illegal in North America, if not Europe itself too (do not quote me, as I'm not 100% sure). What I do know is that Channel 13 on the 2.4 Ghz WiFi band is illegal besides Japan (maybe others?).

Too many people are not are that more than half of firmwares are created using open source tools. And they license the firmware to be open source, because that is the law. If you sell a product using open source firmware, and use the license the creators demand, you must release the open source parts of your firmware. BUT, there are SOME proprietary tools that are open source in those firmwares. If you are smart enough, you are able to legally figure it out, with A LOT OF WORK.

Even, closed source firmware like the Broadcom chipsets were successfully modified due to a smart user who I won't mention, but he is the one who created Haxorware and made it mainstream. Which unfortunately due to many varying factors became the downfall and end of it, otherwise perhaps we could be editing and flashing Broadcom chipsets like some are, but in private since there is no trust in this community.

To be clear, "Puma" chipsets which were originally made by Texas Instruments were created using simple open source found in Linux. Even a special Linux distribution which can be found the name of elsewhere was used to create it. When Texas Instruments owned Puma chipsets, you could download MOST of the open source tools as Texas Instruments actually followed the law and provided the raw firmware based on listening law. Once Intel bought them, they (illigally) stopped releasing the open source part of the firmware. Why? You be the judge. Easier to pay a fine than release something valuable when you're one of biggest chip manufactures on planet Earth.By the way, Puma chipsets is what Forceware used, and Haxorware used Broadcom (Which is not open source) - but speaks to the developer who I will not name of his skill on reverse engineering it.

Anyway, I'm not asking to create an illegal Wiki with downloadable Firmware - that is up to you. But if you simply look at OpenWRT they basically have a Wikipedia of routers, switches, etc... which are open source. Even including some popular modems.

We are lucky to have Haxorware left, I assume it is offshore which Is why it has not yet been shutdown. Having an offsore Wiki similar to OpenWRT will be magical before we too loose Haxorware. As, we literally have been backed into a corner and abounded. Perhaps this new affiliated(?) site wether by name or just simple gratitude can be made. Due to legal reasons I will not state were you should open the site. But if people paid for SBH, people will actually pay for a good Wiki. Were the beginners can remain here, and the more generous people can edit the Wikipedia,

TLDR: I will have many grammar and spell check errors in this post, as I'm simply to lazy to correct it - since most of you will understand it. And the chances of it ever happening is small, unfortunately. If a sentence is completely does not make sense, partially due to autocorrect, quote the specific sentence and maybe others or I will come back to correct it.

Let's end the stale progress, and do something at least.
Very nice post neo... I came in around the time all of the good minds started going underground. Some say the hobby is dead but I believe that statement is far from the truth. How can it die when we are in the midst of a broadband technology surge. The "Free for nothing, 1 click" days are over, that is for certain, but I know a few people who do work behind the scenes and truly enjoy what they do simply for the sake of accomplishment. I know of the regular Forceare Wiki but I like your idea better. People need to realize... SOMEONE.. is paying for this site to exist for us to enjoy. Let's not let it wither away. I say unban everyone...hahaha j/k
"TLDR: I will have many grammar and spell check errors in this post, as I'm simply to lazy to correct it - since most of you will understand it. And the chances of it ever happening is small, unfortunately. If a sentence is completely does not make sense, partially due to autocorrect, quote the specific sentence and maybe others or I will come back to correct it."

That's ok. No need to make excuses. There are probably a lot of members here that do not speak English as their first language. You are not alone....
This is a good idea. Can we host the wiki on the haxorware.com hosting?

A wiki thats in a country where it doesn't have to worry about take down notices and can accept donations to pay for the hosting costs and management efforts.

Who would run it?
(03-06-2018, 04:50 PM)modembricker Wrote: Very nice post neo... I came in around the time all of the good minds started going underground. Some say the hobby is dead but I believe that statement is far from the truth. How can it die when we are in the midst of a broadband technology surge. The "Free for nothing, 1 click" days are over, that is for certain, but I know a few people who do work behind the scenes and truly enjoy what they do simply for the sake of accomplishment. I know of the regular Forceare Wiki but I like your idea better. People need to realize... SOMEONE.. is paying for this site to exist for us to enjoy. Let's not let it wither away. I say unban everyone...hahaha j/k

Thanks for the kind words - to further elaborate, there are far too many "hit and run" posts of people who simply register to post a question (that has been answered hundreds of times). Or a regular member who simply this forum, and other forums, that are now dead as a constant resource to ask question. Problem is, it is VERY rarely an intelligent question - such a programing question, a person who is testing an RFC and has an actual
question.
nitwit
Thank you Neo, such contributions and ideas are the ones we need to keep the train on rails, I second this. It's been a long time since we really had fun with the hobby. Back in the day SBH and the IRC were much more fun but it isn't about crying over spilled milk so fuck yeah I'll upload my own files to the wiki.
+1 we need somewhere to chat with other testers and document things...
look here....
http://www.underground-modems.com/index.php
(11-06-2018, 07:58 PM)arrobazo Wrote: look here....

1) Who runs that site?

2) How do we know it is safe?

3) "Forum is now closed". Doesn't seem useful / functional. Is it active, private, shutdown?
(12-06-2018, 11:21 PM)occalifornia Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 07:58 PM)arrobazo Wrote: look here....

1) Who runs that site?

2) How do we know it is safe?

3) "Forum is now closed". Doesn't seem useful / functional. Is it active, private, shutdown?

the forum was open some
few months, but privately without new records.
It is assumed that here were the firmware and private developments continued with the post-fall development of SBHACKER