Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing back to the original mac and serial?
I have a modem on which I sometime ago changed the MAC and SN.
I used Haxorware on it to do that.

I never changed the Certs.

If I change back to the original MAC and SN are the certs still there and would they then become valid?

I haven't seen this question discussed. Or not recently.

It depends on how you flashed the modem. If you flashed a full dump (a 2mb copy from another modem) or just the flash portion. If you flashed it with just Haxorware (NOT a full dump), just press the "Copy from Certificate" option when you change it back to the original MAC, and the original certs will be copied to match the original MAC.
(05-10-2011, 06:56 PM)Mordeth Wrote: It depends on how you flashed the modem. If you flashed a full dump (a 2mb copy from another modem) or just the flash portion. If you flashed it with just Haxorware (NOT a full dump), just press the "Copy from Certificate" option when you change it back to the original MAC, and the original certs will be copied to match the original MAC.

I would have only flashed with haxorware.
So I guess I will look into that. Thanks.
(06-10-2011, 12:55 AM)Bruiser Wrote:
(05-10-2011, 06:56 PM)Mordeth Wrote: It depends on how you flashed the modem. If you flashed a full dump (a 2mb copy from another modem) or just the flash portion. If you flashed it with just Haxorware (NOT a full dump), just press the "Copy from Certificate" option when you change it back to the original MAC, and the original certs will be copied to match the original MAC.

I would have only flashed with haxorware.
So I guess I will look into that. Thanks.

Well, so I plugged it all in and went into the haxorware UI. I clicked the copy from certificate but nothing changed. Odd.

So I found a record of the original numbers from that particular SB5101 and entered them. Everything turned green.
Does the green have significance? Does haxorware verify validity and turn green if it verifies?
What does that mean?

I saved and rebooted and all the particulars now match the label on the modem, so I guess that was successful. Not sure though.

I thought I might sub that modem. That's why I wanted it back the way it was but with haxorware on it, so I can save any pleasant config files I happen to get sent down to me.

Bruiser,

Goto the Baseline Privacy page, scroll down to "Restore from filesystem" and press "GO" (there should be a .tar file in there). Afterwards, goto the "Addresses" page and press "Copy to Certificate". As long as the original certs have not been tampered with, the original MAC will be show up automatically in the "HFC MAC" spot.
It does seem to be all normal now. Thanks, MAC matches sticker. I suppose the cert is fine. I didn't ever fool with it. As I said I might sub this and I don't want anything to seem weird at all.

One other thing. I used to be online with this modem and a changed mac, but no more. Better to use a modem where I can download my config than one that I can't.

One thing, a buddy of mine moved from one area to another, same system- maybe about 10 miles. He hooked his old modem up at the new place and he had a 30 MB connection, which in a couple of days declined to a normal level. I said to him "You wish you had a special modem with haxorware on it so you could archive that config they sent you before they came to their senses." But he didn't have one at the time.

Which explains why I would like to sub a haxorware modem. Much better to have that all right off the bat!