Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Access to linux side of combo router/modem
The only serial cable I have suitable for connecting to a console is my cisco console cable and a USB-Serial adapter. I might just build a small adapter to plug the cisco cable into that breaks it out into individual lines so I can poke around and find the linux side's console. (I don't want to hack my cable apart)

Unfortunately, once these combination modem / routers are certified for use on cable networks it will be the cable networks themselves pushing all firmware updates and choosing what features to enable / disable. The end user, even though they'll be available at retail, will have no control over what firmware is pushed to their device. The access the beta testers have (such as hidden pages for enabling / disabling the dedicated ethernet WAN ports that the test units have, telnet access, etc) will be locked down when they get certified. I have the firmware images we're beta testing, but once we move to Phase II and the images are pushed to the devices by the cable networks I won't have access to the web gui firmware update page. I'm hoping to find a way to restore beta firmware without the use of the web gui.

I am however looking forward to Phase II because we've been told we will be testing the full capacity of the modem. Right now my existing modem is an 8x4 channel on a 50Mbps tier which is the highest offered by my cable provider. Can't wait to see what 24x8 is capable of.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Access to linux side of combo router/modem - by DigitalNY - 14-02-2015, 07:32 PM