Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retroactive testing on Sb5101
Haha, leased and topsite together... Tongue I started stepping back after the 04 busts, and completely retired after the 05 busts, as a friend was arrested and a site I had access to but didn't use was affected. Things just hit a little too close to home.

Another fun fact - I hosted xbins for 2-3 months from a home connection, back in the docsis1 (2003? I'd been testing for a fair bit then, when most people thought "uncapping" was a myth) days. No custom firmware, just exploiting the modem looking over Ethernet for the configure first. XBMC releases would peg 10mbit up for a day or so. My ISP finally updated the firmware, but left the old one on their tftp server, taking seconds to downgrade. Later they got around to removing it but allowed upgrades from any internal up, so hosting it on a second modem was a quick downgrade again. Their only tier was 512kbit/128kbit, so they weren't thrilled at 0/0 configs.

I actually had a friend in HR at the company, and interviewed to help improve security,, but they went with someone with a better resume. He wasn't particularly good or just didn't care, uunsubbed macs sere allowed online, and edited configs were useable until Suddenlink bought them out. They did take notice of my tests at some ponit, setting unsubbed Macs to drop every 10 minutes in my area, but nowhere else in the town. By this point, they finally offered a reasonable sub, and my test saw use strictly for poking at their security on e or twice a month. Focusing on my node gave me a good laugh, it was saying "I can't stop you, but I can be annoying as hell." This was despite at least 6 other testers scattered around town using far more bandwidth. I'd have loved to have a chat with their security team, given immunity for my poking around, but that would never happen.

I'm taking a trip to visit family in the area at some point soon, I'll have to see if I can still give them a hard time.

Messages In This Thread
Retroactive testing on Sb5101 - by sixteen - 09-08-2015, 09:37 PM
RE: Retroactive testing on Sb5101 - by drewmerc - 11-08-2015, 09:02 PM
RE: Retroactive testing on Sb5101 - by bakageta - 16-08-2015, 06:21 AM
RE: Retroactive testing on Sb5101 - by daviddds - 16-08-2015, 11:56 AM
RE: Retroactive testing on Sb5101 - by bakageta - 22-08-2015, 05:43 AM