Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I use SNMPcfgAdmin?
snmpCfgadmin

Is only one small part of many tools used to test a Network..You need the OIDS associated with what SNMP commands are asking for, you need the Private string to get them and , to write to, the remote Network Element (CM)

So much more involved..
Knowledge=Power
(07-03-2013, 10:34 PM)modembricker Wrote: Ive been looking around for a tutorial on snmpcfgadmin but with no luck, all i see is tutorials on how to hack a cable modem. I'm not interested in that, I just want to know how the program works and what Im looking at (especially is ABMJR likes that program!)

Ahaa ---> Lookie Here <---

And here are some Solarwinds Videos

I still use snmpAdmin and SW occasionaly on TWC.

Why don't you all come to IRC? There are some things I would not mind sharing, and maybe we can learn a thing or two via mutual exchange of information.

I have been around for a long time, and you may even look me up on XDA forums, I am honestly just not a big fan of posting it publicly on forums like these anymore.
Lucky for me to be so much dumber than most of you youngsters as it forced me to look for simpler ways...after a few hours in Solarwinds I wanted to toss my laptop in the canal and give it all up and go be telemarketer!! lol
(08-03-2013, 03:24 AM)southernyankey1970 Wrote: Lucky for me to be so much dumber than most of you youngsters as it forced me to look for simpler ways...after a few hours in Solarwinds I wanted to toss my laptop in the canal and give it all up and go be telemarketer!! lol
You want to shoot pinhead hole with 100 mm canon ????
Heh, be my guest.
Hmmmm, if somebody want to put dick in the pencil sharpener, thats obviously is his choice, I do not have anything against it.

yeah, cisco eng r using that tool, but for different purposes mostly.

@ dishfear
I remember your nic, on some sites.......

millis,r10x,privsat,echotesters,forbiddenfruit,tbrt,slimebawx,#expressvu

All of them are closed down for good, some of them ages ago....do not know about last two.
Dcm is still open, but looks like abandoned
those jojos down there have no any concept on security,.......

game is not over yet, we have to use different tactics and hide the info form Master Rats, thats all.
And this time, the big devil corporations, wont be able to counterattack by examining our tools and methods, like they did it in the past.

So the game is gonna be on higher level, good think about it is, that greedy dealers are not gonna make profit out of this info, is gonna be closed down for them.

Just give u some example: Look how IKS resellers are chosen ----> to become a reseller u have to have at least 10 000 posts in all sites at a given nick.
No new comers.
It's common sense. You cannot plug a leak until you know where it is. The trick is to find your own little crack and hide it as long as possible. I like the forums because I get to see other testers thought processes and after some time you can almost spot the freetards after 5 or 6 posts...
It takes you 5 or 6 posts to find that out? jk

I'm here to learn, so I really hope others can see that. I've always found holes in other hobbies before, so I'm sure I can do it here. Just wish the stuff that I know could get me a real job, that'll never happen around my area.
Sometimes it does...

My personal favorite, though is the very 1st post that reads like this....

"Hey, my CL modem worked just fine for over 2 years! WTF???"

"Why won't you guys help me?? This is a modem site isn't it???"

Duhhhhh! Never fails to get me to laugh!
I am golden..... for now.

This was a lot more interesting when D3 was first being upgraded on my network as the network environment changed almost daily. It kept things in a constant state of flux so I never knew what to expect. Now that it has been finished for quite some time it has become pretty boring. It will change again. It always does.
this should help how to understand what its all about

SNMP, MIBs and OIDs - an Overview

SNMP is one of the most commonly used technologies when it comes to network monitoring. Bandwidth Monitoring programs like PRTG Network Monitor use it. But how does SNMP work? What are MIBs and OIDs? Read this short introduction into the world of SNMP!

SNMP Basics

SNMP stands for Simple Network Management Protocol and consists of three key components: managed devices, agents, and network-management systems (NMSs). A managed device is a node that has an SNMP agent and resides on a managed network. These devices can be routers and access server, switches and bridges, hubs, computer hosts, or printers. An agent is a software module residing within a device. This agent translates information into a compatible format with SNMP. An NMS runs monitoring applications. They provide the bulk of processing and memory resources required for network management.

MIB, OID, etc.

MIB stands for Management Information Base and is a collection of information organized hierarchically. These are accessed using a protocol such as SNMP. There are two types of MIBs: scalar and tabular. Scalar objects define a single object instance whereas tabular objects define multiple related object instances grouped in MIB tables.

OIDs or Object Identifiers uniquely identify manged objects in a MIB hierarchy. This can be depicted as a tree, the levels of which are assigned by different organizations. Top level MIB object IDs (OIDs) belong to different standard organizations. Vendors define private branches including managed objects for their own products.

SNMP version 1, which is the SNMP standard supported by PRTG Network Monitor, was the initial development of the SNMP protocol. A description can be found in Request for Comments (RFC) 1157 and it functions within the specification of the Structure of Management Information (SMI). It operates over User Datagram Protocol (UDP), Internet Protocol (IP), OSI Connectionless Network Services (CLNS), AppleTalk Datagram Delivery Prtocol (DDP), and Novell Internet Packet Exchange (IPX). SNMP v1 is considered the de facto network management protocol in the Internet community.

SNMP works on the basis that network management systems send out a request and the managed devices return a response. This is implemented using one of four operations: Get, GetNext, Set, and Trap. SNMP messages consist of a header and a PDU (protocol data units). The headers consist of the SNMP version number and the community name. The community name is used as a form of security in SNMP. The PDU depends on the type of message that is being sent. The Get, GetNext, and Set, as well as the response PDU, consist of PDU type, Request ID, Error status, Error index and Object/variable fields. The Trap consist of Enterprise, Agent, Agent address, Generic trap type, Specific trap code, Timestamp and Object/Value fields.

MIBs are a collection of definitions which define the properties of the managed object within the device to be managed (such as a router, switch, etc.) Each managed device keeps a database of values for each of the definitions written in the MIB. As such, it is not actually database but implementation dependant. Each vendor of SNMP equipment has an exclusive section of the MIB tree structure under their control.

In order for all of this to be properly organized, all of the manageable features of all products (from each vendor) are arranged in this tree. Each 'branch' of this tree has a number and a name, and the complete path from the top of the tree down to the point of interest forms the name of that point. This is the OID. Nodes near the top of the tree are extremely general I nature. For example, to get to the Internet, one has to reach to the fourth tier. As one moves further down, the names get more and more specific, until one gets to the bottom, where each node represents a particular feature on a specific device (or agent).

Samples

Here is a sample structure of an OID:
Iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).private(4).transition(868).products(2).chassis(4).card(1).slotCps(2)­.-cpsSlotSummary(1).cpsModuleTable(1).cpsModuleEntry(1).cpsModuleModel(3).3562.3

or

These numbers are the ones used in PRTG when setting up custom sensors, in order to access the appropriate elements of the device desired to be monitored. OIDs are generally provided by the hardware manufacturers or can be found in so-called OID repositories, where collections of MIB trees and the respective OIDs can be accessed. PRTG reads these OIDs and appoints them to the pertinent device, respectively monitoring the selected device and its OID specific.
if you cant test dont invest !!!!!
hey flash, just checked out your 5 positive reps. they are all from the same person. is someone trying to be a bum-buddy of yours.....??