Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I resolve RNG-RSP
My modem does not change status to success in ranging. What is causing this? Here are the logs:

Attempting Downstream FEC lock @ freq= 723000000 Hz, QAM64/256

DOWNSTREAM STATUS
Tuner Frequency = 723000000 Hz
Carrier Offset = -2 Hz
Symbol rate = 5360537 sym/sec
SNR = 31 dB
QAM Mode = QAM256
Tuner AGC = 0xfff00000
IF AGC = 0x170752f1
Power Level = -9 dB
QAM = LOCKED
FEC = LOCKED

CM/DocsisCtl> Selecting UCD for Us Channel 9

RNG-RSP Adj: tim=4516 power=24 freq=0 Stat=Continue

RNG-RSP Adj: tim=0 power=24 freq=0 Stat=Continue

RNG-RSP Adj: tim=0 power=4 freq=0 Stat=Continue

RNG-RSP Adj: tim=0 power=0 freq=0 Stat=Continue

RNG-RSP Adj: tim=0 power=0 freq=307 Stat=Continue

RNG-RSP Adj: tim=0 power=0 freq=-332 Stat=Continue

RNG-RSP Adj: tim=0 power=0 freq=307 Stat=Continue
What model is this?
BEFCMU10 mac&cert using sb5101 haxorware
Try another test setup. Maybe that set is too far away from your node to get a response. Your signal isn't bad, but it could be better. Take out any splitters if you can...
It is config file problem. You need a working config file.
No, It is not.

Explain, to us and me why it is a config problem. Then let me machine gun your knowledge, or lack of it, to shreds.

Again, Explain why a RNG-RSP is a config issue...

This should be cute, BTW
Knowledge=Power
The CM sends a ranging request (RNG-REQ) message to the CMTS and waits for a ranging response (RNG-RSP) message or a T3 timer expiration. If a T3 timeout occurs, the retry count increments. If the retry count is less than the maximum number of retries, the modem transmits another RNG-REQ at a higher power level. This ranging process occurs in the initial maintenance or broadcast regions of the MAP because the CMTS has not assigned the modem a service identifier (SID) for unicast transmissions in the MAP. Thus, broadcast ranging is contention based and subject to collisions. To compensate for this the modems have a ranging backoff algorithm to calculate a random backoff time between RNG-REQ transmissions. This can be configured using cable upstream range-backoff command. When the transmit power has reached a sufficient level for the CMTS, it will respond to the RNG-REQ with a RNG-RSP containing a temporary SID. This SID will be used to identify unicast transmission regions in the MAP for unicast ranging. Taken from Cisco

If a modem cannot proceed out of ranging state, the likely cause is an insufficient transmit power level. In the setup above transmit power can be adjusted by adjusting attenuation at the low frequency port. Increased attenuation will result in increased transmit power levels. Roughly 20 - 30 dB of attenuation is a good place to start. After initial ranging init(r1) the modem proceeds onto init(r2) which is where the modem must configure the transmit timing offset and power level to ensure that transmissions from the modem are received at the correct time and are at an acceptable input power level at the CMTS receiver. This is performed through a conversation of unicast RNG-REQ and RNG-RSP messages. The RNG-RSP messages contain power and timing offset corrections the modem must make. The modem continues to transmit RNG-REQ and perform adjustments per RNG-RSP until the RNG-RSP message indicates ranging success or ranging complete by reaching the init(rc) state. If a modem cannot proceed out of init (r2) the transmit power needs to be refined. Below is an output display of a CM in init(r2) state.

sounds like you need to call your ISP and sign up for service so the could run a line to you.
Thus, lets stick the config answer in some posters ass as that was wrong.

I win

Bad drop bad fittings splitters

RNG-RSP is an RF Plant issue
Knowledge=Power
i think huntingtonstation has mistaken RNG-RSP with REG-RSP

what if you are 100% positive that your upstream signal and cm is fine? would that sort of indicate if the mac/serial or both are banned?
RNG-RSP is an initial power/ timing issue started to keep the Network Elements talking at theright level to the CMTS. Its a UCD packet and all it does is keep the network in sync and all equal. If I remember, its sent every 30 seconds, or every .500 m/sec. I forget. More or lest after RNG-RSP, we move to timing and thats the "heartbeat"
Knowledge=Power