Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I may have bricked my sb5100
So. Long story short. I have an hactivated sb5100 from about 5 years ago. Its been a while, 5 years almost since I've touched one and I forgot the procedures, dos commands I used to get it online.I used serial jtag and blackcat software. I recently purchased a refurbished sb5100 in hopes that I could 'clone' the old one and apply that clone to the new modem. Someone on this forum Told me to click the flash tab, select read all, and save image. I applied this image to the new one and when plugged up, lights stay solid for 7 seconds then modem goes completely blank. Jtag utility and blackcat can still detect it so I'm assuming its not totally bricked.

However, I have tried a few firmware for the sb5100, including the stock and they have not revived my modem. at this point, I'm not sure if I should give up on it? Is there something I can try? I don't have any debricking hardware tools or anything, just modem, jtag computer and software.
(09-10-2013, 02:10 PM)Sunaj Wrote: So. Long story short. I have an hactivated sb5100 from about 5 years ago. Its been a while, 5 years almost since I've touched one and I forgot the procedures, dos commands I used to get it online.I used serial jtag and blackcat software. I recently purchased a refurbished sb5100 in hopes that I could 'clone' the old one and apply that clone to the new modem. Someone on this forum Told me to click the flash tab, select read all, and save image. I applied this image to the new one and when plugged up, lights stay solid for 7 seconds then modem goes completely blank. Jtag utility and blackcat can still detect it so I'm assuming its not totally bricked.

However, I have tried a few firmware for the sb5100, including the stock and they have not revived my modem. at this point, I'm not sure if I should give up on it? Is there something I can try? I don't have any debricking hardware tools or anything, just modem, jtag computer and software.
if this thing give you headache easy way go get another one sb5100 only cost $10 or $15
I could , but then I'd have to wait another two weeks until I get paid again, plus 5 days for shipping. So as you might imagine I'm trying to get this working asap.if nothing works,I DO have an sb4200. Problem is I have no experience with it whatsoever. I do see that it has room for a jtag on the board and I've already taken the liberty of backing up the memory and flash. I have no idea what flash/bios/bootloader/firmware is recommended
Youre using a PJTAG aren't you? Wow!

ok. Fire up Tom's Utility.

Same commands but it will work!

ldram 9fc00000

select bin

program 9fc00000 200000

grab a 5100 bin off SBH or forocable or there is prob one here somewhere.

If it detects it will debrick. There is a corrupted block of data in the flash somewhere. Keep flashing it until it works.(It seems like forever, doesn't it? 20 minutes to flash with a pjtag...)

Attached Files
.zip   Tom's JTAG Utility v1.3.zip (Size: 2.14 MB / Downloads: 267)
THANKS FOR RESPONDING.

Re SBH: I've been a member of that darn site for a few months now since I forgot my pass to my old account as well as the email associated with it, and I ' don't have permission' to download ANYTHING!. I do have this firmware M28W-9fc00000. My modem is a broadcom 3348, at least thats what blackcat reports by the way.

PS- on the memory tab in blackcat, there are straight Fs as values, and on the flash tab straight zeros going all the way down

IF IT HELPS, THIS IS WHAT JTAG UTLITY REPORTS AFTER 'DETECT'

----------------------------------------

Read IDCODE: 0x0334817f
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Part: BCM3348
Version: 0x0??? (BCM3348KPB)
---------------------------------
Create & Clear RAM Buffer (0x80000000 - 0x80800000)
Load Configuration File: bcm3348.def
IR Length: 0x5
Endian: Big
Protocol: EJTAG
RAM Start Address: 0x80000000
RAM Size: 0x800000
FLASH Start Address: 0x9fc00000
Read IMPCODE: 0x00800908
EJTAG Version: 1 or 2.0
EJTAG DMA Support: Yes
Detect FLASH : M28W160CB
Create & Clear FLASH Buffer (0x9fc00000 - 0x9fe00000)
Read CFI Data:
- Protocol: INTEL
- FLASH Size: 0x00200000
- Block[0]: Sectors: 0x08, Sector Size: 0x00002000
- Block[1]: Sectors: 0x1f, Sector Size: 0x00010000

I am going to try the intel-9fc00000.bin to see if it works

(09-10-2013, 11:35 PM)southernyankey1970 Wrote: Youre using a PJTAG aren't you? Wow!

ok. Fire up Tom's Utility.

Same commands but it will work!

ldram 9fc00000

select bin

program 9fc00000 200000

grab a 5100 bin off SBH or forocable or there is prob one here somewhere.

If it detects it will debrick. There is a corrupted block of data in the flash somewhere. Keep flashing it until it works.(It seems like forever, doesn't it? 20 minutes to flash with a pjtag...)
Well, i used the Scwartzecat garbage 1 time and it bricked my 5101. Tom's utility is the only program there is for a pjtag as far as i am concerned. It will not let you down. Let me know if you need a 5100 bin. i might still have one somewhere...I havent used one in a long, long, time.
i found a folder with a list of bins. however if you have one you know or feel will work please shoot it to me.. right now i'm flashing with intel-9fc00000.bin

well the intel bin didn't work. modem is still blank. do you have one that you recommend?
TRY THIS

Attached Files
.bin   SB5100-ST-REV4-001225D79CD0-STOCK.bin (Size: 2 MB / Downloads: 119)
.bin   SB5100-INTEL-REV4-0011AE8CB0A8-STOCK.bin (Size: 2 MB / Downloads: 117)
Trying with the Intel Rev first..

The intel file didn't work, trying the ST
Dam, The ST file didn't work. Modem is still off. it reports 'Program: Complete'. always. Not understanding whats going on