Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SB5101 Firmware Question
Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums and Haxorware. I am currently running firmware 2.1.1.0 and my modem keeps dropping the connection several times a day. I am getting Internet through Rogers through another ISP and was told they won't update my firmware but that I need 2.1.7.0. Is this something I can download and use Haxorware to update? I have seen firmware versions SB5101-2.4.1.6-SCM02-NOSH.bin on these forums, but I am not sure if it needs a special certificate from Rogers.
I don't understand, why won't they update your firmware?

Do they have something against you? Smile
If your ISP signs their Firmware, then you getting it from somewhere else will make it worse, as you may need to be "provisioned" again..

Why not post a TELNET log and look to see why your dropping ..

I imagine your Upstream level is at the top end, or your T-3 Maintenance requests maybe out of spec for timing...
Knowledge=Power
It's complicated. So TekSavvy is my ISP and they wholesale from Rogers. Their relationship is such that if the TekSavvy client has a problem, its not Rogers' problem, so Rogers won't update those client's modems (they would rather you switch over to them for 1/6th the monthly bandwidth at twice the cost).

In any case, I have been trying to use putty to get a telnet log via my ethernet cable, but I keep getting a "connected closed by remote host" error followed by a "network error connection refused" error. I am not asked to enter in any information and there is no data output on the screen. I have the modem plugged directly into my PC. I followed the instructions below, changed my adapter IP to 192.168.100.10, waited 15 seconds after unplugging the modem and tried logging into 192.168.10.1, port 23, vial Telnet. I am using Windows x64 and the firewall is off. Any ideas on how to fix this?

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/70860-...blems.html

I think I have the T-3 Maintenance issue you suspected. This is a portion of the log from my modem:

2012-08-18 16:37:34 6-Notice M573.0 Modem Is Shutting Down and Rebooting...
2012-08-18 16:37:34 3-Critical R004.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance o
2012-08-18 16:37:02 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:40 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.
1970-01-01 00:00:23 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 2)
1970-01-01 00:00:07 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets
2012-08-18 15:54:04 6-Notice M573.0 Modem Is Shutting Down and Rebooting...
2012-08-18 15:54:04 3-Critical R004.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance o
2012-08-18 15:53:32 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:37 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.
1970-01-01 00:00:28 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (US 2)

And these are my levels:
Downstream
Frequency: 609000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio: 39.4 dB
Power Level: -2.8 dBmV
Upstream
Channel ID: 1
Frequency: 31296000 Hz
Power: 45.9 dBmV

The upstream power fluctuated from52 dBmV to 14 dBmV when the disconnect occured before settling back on 45.9 dBmV

Does this suggest a line issue? I suspect the firmware is not the problem.
The fact that you cant respond to a T-3 packet ACK/NACK means your out of sync with the CMTS and you will be dropped as you are most likely causing collisions..

If you fluctuate that mush, you need a service call as 7 db Delta is bad...

And yes, TELNET is disabled by your CMTS after registration

Your issue isnt firmware related, but a signal/timing issue...ATDMA, your not adhering to the "T" in ATDMA
Knowledge=Power
(18-08-2012, 08:13 PM)ABMJR Wrote: The fact that you cant respond to a T-3 packet ACK/NACK means your out of sync with the CMTS and you will be dropped as you are most likely causing collisions..

If you fluctuate that mush, you need a service call as 7 db Delta is bad...

And yes, TELNET is disabled by your CMTS after registration

Your issue isnt firmware related, but a signal/timing issue...ATDMA, your not adhering to the "T" in ATDMA

Thanks for the response. So you know how it is dealing with tech support. Since I don't know much, what should I be telling the tech to look at or fix? I'm afraid he is going to come and tell me everything looks fine.
Why not go inside and outside and take each connector off, clean it and tighten it back up?

Then, if you still have that much of an issue, explain that your connection drops numerous times a day, and it seems to happen more in the rain and when it is windy..
Knowledge=Power
You won't need haxorware to update to that firmware. Haxorware runs fine on Teksavvy without reboots. I still don't know why Rogers is telling Teksavvy that their 5101u/n's need to be on 2.1.7.0 when I see earlier revisions on Rogers hfc ranges that have several month uptimes.
It sounds like Rogers is just being uncooperative. According to TekSavvy tech support, if they see any firmware under 2.1.7.0, they just chalk it up to a firmware issue so they don't have to do anything. So even if they do send a tech out, he can check the line and say everything is fine and I need to get a new modem.

teddyalmonds, I didn't understand what you meant by I didn't need Haxorware to update the firmware but that Haxorware runs fine. I should just install Haxorware and not update the firmware?

BTW, I asked my dad to bring his Rogers modem to test things out. It is a Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR DPX2100 and I have had it running for almost 12 hours without any disconnects or reboots. I am only getting 3mbs download for some reason though (I am pretty sure he has regular high speed). The log only had this in it since I plugged it in:

Sun Aug 19 11:02:03 2012 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Sun Aug 19 05:01:11 2012 Warning (5) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Sun Aug 19 04:47:07 2012 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Edit: I had the modem running for almost 20 hours before I had to return it without any disconnects. I did however get another "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ..." error.
even if you get a new modem it will still have older firmware