Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Introduction
I hope I'm posting this introduction in the right place.
For a long time I wanted to indulge in this hobby.
Well my new years resolution is to do just that.
From what I read so far, it will take 6 months to a year to come up to speed. I hope the good lord keeps me healthy and alive to at least accomplish one project.
I say that because I'm a 77 years old disabled veteran, (one arm, thus captainhook is an appropriate sign in name).
I'm willing to give it a go, if you accept me.
My project is to learn to clone my sb5101 or my brothers sb5100, or both if time allows it.
I would appreciate a caution as to what things I'm not allowed to say or ask.(Other than what I read at the registration.)
welcome to your new addiction!

It's all about reading comprehension and the ability to think outside the box. as long as you ask intelligent questions and don't post dumb shit like " I'll Paypal someone to make my shit work" or "my modem worked great for two years, WTF? how can I fix it?" you will be fine. If you are willing to learn how that little box communicates with the network your ISP is using then you will find success as many testers are more than willing to help someone who is willing to do the work.

I never suggest that anyone clone their sub until they know what they are doing. It is legally tied to you and ALL US ISP's have features enabled in the CMTS firmware to detect Haxorware now. If you use Hax lite and only use it to obtain a telnet bootlog you should be fine, though.
Southernyank, is correct Never use Haxoware Diag with a Sub Modem.
Yes, you can Clone your own sub or your Brothers. I would Highly
Recommend UsbtagNt, on their site there is instructions on how to
back up your unit etc. Just go to their website!
Welcome to this Site!
Thank you southernyankey and haroldstein for the warm welcome.
Just to ascertain that I'm going in the right direction. When the ISP
started charging for the modem rental, both my brother and I, had them install our own modems. I have the SB5101, he has the SB5100.
Does ownership of the modems give us more flexibility for testing and experimenting?
I don't think that ownership of your modem gives you or anyone else more flexibility for testing or experimenting on the ISP's network. The modem might be yours but the network belongs to them. I would get a few tools (mostly USBtagNT) and buy another modem (SB5101) to test with. Make a couple of good backups of the modem you buy and then flash some old bins on it with hax and hook it up to the coax and see what happens.
Thank you SlowGrind
I have started to gather the tools for this fascinating hobby.
I have a usbjtg-nt, which I don't know how to use yet, but haroldstein pointed me in the right direction.
I got a sb5101 for testing. It has haxo v1.1 r32, and software
SB5101-2.6.2.0=NOSH=NNDM.
So I did not get the chance to do the backup before it was flashed.
My virgin SB5101 used by the ISP has software SB5101-2.4.1.6-SCM02-NOSH.
My intent was to use the software from the virgin (ISP) SB5101,
And learn to flash it into the test SB5101. In other words restore the test modem and then re flash it with haxo again.
That is what I meant with flexibility and testing.
Do you recommend doing that? Are the 2 softwares compatible?However I'm still in the learning process so flashing will not be done in the near future.
I did what you suggested with a slight modification, to try out the test modem.
I connected the test modem and didn't get past the third light.
I used the mac from my ISP modem and the test modem goes online, all lights on, but no internet.
To prove that I was on line even though there was no internet,
I also plugged in the ISP modem to see if the second modem will knock off the first modem off line as it should. It did.
Now I know that I have good test modem.
My task now is to find out what is happening.
Did I do anything wrong?
There is a tool out there that will pull your certs from the NoVol file off your subbed modem. Once you pull the certs and uploaded them into Haxorware your modem will start working with the correct settings when your subbed is un pluged or on a different node as your test modem.

(07-01-2013, 04:53 PM)captainhook Wrote: Thank you SlowGrind
I have started to gather the tools for this fascinating hobby.
I have a usbjtg-nt, which I don't know how to use yet, but haroldstein pointed me in the right direction.
I got a sb5101 for testing. It has haxo v1.1 r32, and software
SB5101-2.6.2.0=NOSH=NNDM.
So I did not get the chance to do the backup before it was flashed.
My virgin SB5101 used by the ISP has software SB5101-2.4.1.6-SCM02-NOSH.
My intent was to use the software from the virgin (ISP) SB5101,
And learn to flash it into the test SB5101. In other words restore the test modem and then re flash it with haxo again.
That is what I meant with flexibility and testing.
Do you recommend doing that? Are the 2 softwares compatible?However I'm still in the learning process so flashing will not be done in the near future.
I did what you suggested with a slight modification, to try out the test modem.
I connected the test modem and didn't get past the third light.
I used the mac from my ISP modem and the test modem goes online, all lights on, but no internet.
To prove that I was on line even though there was no internet,
I also plugged in the ISP modem to see if the second modem will knock off the first modem off line as it should. It did.
Now I know that I have good test modem.
My task now is to find out what is happening.
Did I do anything wrong?
Thank you BornDirty, I will try what you suggest as soon as I learn to use my new tools.
At this stage I'm still trying to figure out the process.
I'm a flowchart person so I'm looking at the post that ABMJR (the God) was kind enough to place at our disposal. If I make sense of that. I will on my way to a clear understanding of what is going on.
Knowledge of the system is what I'm seeking. Perhaps in a couple of years I can get together with ABMJR and put his flowchart into a video.
(08-01-2013, 12:59 AM)captainhook Wrote: Thank you BornDirty, I will try what you suggest as soon as I learn to use my new tools.
At this stage I'm still trying to figure out the process.
I'm a flowchart person so I'm looking at the post that ABMJR (the God) was kind enough to place at our disposal. If I make sense of that. I will on my way to a clear understanding of what is going on.
Knowledge of the system is what I'm seeking. Perhaps in a couple of years I can get together with ABMJR and put his flowchart into a video.

what you want
[Image: 8okdO.gif]

what jr posts
[Image: o1guP.png]
__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat linkĀ https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******
Thank you Drewmerc.
You have given me an appetite for further knowledge.
I wonder what are the requirements to attend the Volpe seminars.
They look like the detailed knowledge I will love to learn.
I will look into that.
I remember during the DOS era, you look at a program and determine what each line did in detail.
That is what I will like to do with the flowchart.
In todays world of Windows that is not so simple.
Any further information that will enhance my learning is greatly appreciated.